Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 1177: Orientation woes and yays

There are two words I would use to describe orientation: long and forced.

1) Long. Each day was pretty long. They were filled with housekeeping details (getting locker assignments (high school much?), taking ID pictures, etc), financial aid presentations (we could all get our delicious loan money), and other somewhat necessary things. Then, after all that, the school and/or second-year medical students hosted events to get us all (M1s and M2s (the fancy med school terminology for what year each medical student is)) to comingle. Which leads me to word two...

2) Forced. Here is my logic. There are 204 of us. We will be with each other for four years. What is the rush in getting us to be social every damn day? I am way too lazy to deal with the forced nature of orientation week. "Hi, where are you from?" "Where did you go to school (undergrad)?" "Where are you living?" Blah blah blah. The same question. Every time. With every new person. ... Pass.  Look, I'm barely going to have any friends as it is (I don't like people). I'll make the few friends I have in my own time, thank you very much.

I suppose I should get to the "yays" part of orientation. I suppose that would be, when I showed up Monday morning, they actually had a name tag and binder of information for me. That was probably the best moment of orientation week -- proof I was actually supposed to be there.

0 comments: