Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Registration, I just registered for the MCAT (the standardized test that all pre-medical students have to take -- think of it as the SAT for med school). This is all really happening. Holy freaking cow.
That is all. Vacation has been good to me but I could be studying/working out more. Meh. What's the point of vacation if you can't enjoy yourself a little?
Monday, December 15, 2008
And I'm done suckers. Muahaha.
I'm not going to lie. That final was hard. It wasn't necessarily anything I couldn't handle but it was, in typical Dr. Red (that's my Organic professor's "name") fashion, something I couldn't expect. I also did not study as much as I did for this final as I have for our previous exams but I've got to say, all in all, it was a good freaking final. It really tested one's breadth of Organic knowledge and I don't know...I'm a huge nerd who loves this stuff so I thought even though it was tough, it was good-tough. Either way, it's over and I'll get my grade for this course by the end the of the week (most likely).
The best freaking news ever is that I am going HOME. To California. Tomorrow.
Life does not get better than that.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Speaking of my roommate's new job...it is at Krispy Kreme.What does that mean for me? A crap ton of donuts and a gabajillion pounds. Not good.
In other news, because all I know is science now, I didn't even know when I went home. I thought I flew home on Wednesday 12/17 but apparently it's Tuesday 12/16. Ha. Good thing I checked my flight status again. Now I can't decide if I want to pay an extra $75 to catch the first flight out, in an attempt to avoid air traffic and weather issues. I am going to home a whole day earlier than I thought so I guess it won't be that big of a deal.
Anyhoo, more studying. I think it's ridiculous how much I love doing problems and making sure I understand the stereochemistry and all that fun science jargon. Whee nerdyness!
Friday, December 12, 2008
I passed my Biology and somehow managed to pass my Physics class? Granted, I freaking deserved it after studying my butt off for the final. All I have is my Organic final on Monday and I'm not even going to lie, I am not stressed at all. Everyone else seems quite stressed and unwell and I'm kind of excited. Even after our review session today, I'm still feeling a-okay. He's writing a 2-and-1/2-hour final for our three hour final period and I don't know. I'm excited about it...and still not worried.
I think this complacency (for once) has nothing to do with wanting to go home but with knowing that everything I'm doing is review. Unlike most of my class, I am not learning things for the first time. It's pure review. It's actually pretty sweet.
What kind of nerd says she loves Organic Chemistry and is not stressed-or-pressed about it? (Me!)
Monday, December 8, 2008
Onto more good news...for those of you who know me, and I'm all about mitigating any good accomplishments because I hate bragging more than anything else, I'm going to step out of my shell a little and tell you something. We got our Organic test results back and I did fine. Better than fine actually. I...kind of...well...got the highest grade on the test? Thank goodness he didn't call me out and say "Jessica got the highest grade on the exam" but it was pretty sweet to figure it out. In other good news, the class did so crappy (the average was 54) he's adding 10 points to everyone's score. I never count that stuff (he's done that twice now) but it's pretty sweet to know I've got a decent exam average. I mean, really freaking sweet.
The Physics test went fine. I did pull a Calvin on one question (I couldn't figure out how the numbers worked so I wrote a paragraph about why there should be a change in temperature) but I could care less.
I've decided if I come out with not-the-best-grade due to my circumstances...I'm going to deal with it. No tears. No pouts. No pissy fits. I'm just going to study my ass of second semester and kick butt on the Physics portion of the MCAT. If I can't fix the past, I can learn from it and improve my future.
So now I'm going to keep studying Physics concepts (specifically momentum and impulse and things that involve Greek letters), watch some "Dexter" (don't tell me!) and study some more for my final on Wednesday.
Sunday, December 7, 2008
(I'm going to try and put this in order from left to right)
A house, a school and a toy store
A popcorn stand and a seafood restaurant
The church (with a swing and carolers)
The popcorn stand, restaurant, church and fiber-optic tree!
And that is all. I'm feeling too lazy to study (even though I will) because home is so freaking close. Ugh.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
I am so close to the end, I can taste it. It tastes like sweet victory, hard work and sheer joy. Well, sort of, haha.
There has been a lot of Physics drama in the past three days and here is what went down. Apparently, the test printed funny and all the correct answers were lighter (in color) than the other options (it was a multiple choice test). Some kids figured it out and whispered the knowledge to their friends and thus cheating ensued. As a result, Professor Oldy McOld has decided to issue a retest on Monday 12/8. ...did I forget to mention that our final is on Wednesday 12/10? Oh yeah. So there's that.
Class was a vicious environment on Friday -- filled with seething students and an unappreciated professor and you can only imagine the sort of bickering and back-and-forth cattiness that occurred. It was not good.
The moral of the story is, shut up, stop whining and study. I'm not happy about taking another test (so close to the final no less) but instead of whining I am going to study more concepts and make sure I've got the math down. What else can I do? Bitch and moan some more. Yawn.
My Organic exam can go either way. It's fine though. As previously mentioned, we can drop an exam and even though I hate that mentality ("I can drop a test so this last one doesn't matter"), I did study hard and whatnot but if it goes the bad way ... well ... I can drop it. How begrudging of me.
Finals next week include Physics on Wednesday and Biology on Thursday. Then it's Organic on Monday 12/15 and then HOME ON THE 17TH. I'm a little excited and antsy. Can you tell?
And on a joyous note, I gave blood today! Whee second time! Let me just tell you, that is a big needle. And I have an excellent iron count. Yes!
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
- A friend from SIP gave me a ton of MCAT books. I am SO happy. I really want to start prepping for it because (I will only say this once) I am going to rock it...with hours upon hours of preparation. That, plus some hardcore dedication and true blue confidence...there should be no reason I will not kick the MCAT's butt!This is the actual stack of books my friend gave me.
- Said friend has a Deaf roommate! I signed with him! I realized after the fact that I have never actually interacted with a Deaf person so it was pretty great. My signing was gosh-awful but he was very nice and he asked me where I learned to sign (high school and college) and I asked him what he was studying (English) and it was quite a nice conversation. I really miss signing. I was terrible though :\
- I have decided to give a rat's patooty about the douche-y friends and I am completely ready to drop all their butts. Once I decided this (over Thanksgiving), I got so much joy out of it. I'm trying to figure out the best way to tell them to f-off but I have decided I am just going to ween myself out of their presence and wash my hands of them.
- Biology I lab finished on Monday. Whee! (All the words necessary.)
- I have a Physics test in T-minus 1 hour (give or take) and I just want to take it. I always get like this, too much studying makes Jessica antsy for tests.
- I have an Organic exam on Friday that I'm excited about it. Well not excited, but preparing for. And yeah, a little excited. We can drop an exam and I have never understood that mentality of "oh, I can drop an exam so it doesn't really matter how I do on X test." That is just so dumb and lazy. I'm kicking this test's ass!