Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Day 3052: Medicine sub-I reflections

I had my medicine sub-internship (aka sub-I) in August. As mentioned, this is where I played actual doctor all month. I would see patients on my own, come up with my own plans, and then I would go through admission orders and whatnot with my senior resident since I didn't have access to any of the important stuff. The hours were long! I got there at 7am every morning (sometimes earlier) and stayed until 5pm at the earliest. I went 12 days between days off. I worked four 28-hour shifts. I lost track of time...a lot.

I think the biggest part of surviving the clinical years of medical school is the people you work with. I had the best medicine team. Initially, I was worried. One of the interns went to medical school here and I was never the biggest fan of him. He was a pretty cocky guy and love-love-loved to pimp other students. I was sure he was going to show me how smart he was, all the damn time. He kind of did that, but he was mainly a fun(ny) guy who enjoyed picking on me. Then, my other intern, was frickin' hilarious. We have similar senses of humor so we were giving each other a hard time and griping on aggravating patients, staff, etc. The two interns together just riffed off each other like crazy. Whenever the two of them were together, I was sure to lose points. (We had a point system to create some team camaraderie and one week in to the month, it built camaraderie by having everyone take points away from me.)

Then, there was my senior. I love him. He is so smart, and such a great educator. He really gauged my knowledge daily and took the time out of his day to teach me something. He has this wonderful personality that just calms the room. Have you ever met people like that? Smart, composed and calming. Their presence only enhances those around them to elevate everyone to their level. He is such a great guy and I am so happy to call him a friend.

Overall, working 27 days in a hospital, despite the long hours, was extremely rewarding. This past month continued to solidify my decision to pursue med-peds. The breadth of knowledge required to be a kick-ass doctor is daunting, but also exhilarating. I love the idea that I will be able to take care of any patient who walks through my door. From the 9-year-old who had a stroke to the 54-year-old suffering from a congenital disease, I'll be ready.

0 comments: