Friday, August 8, 2008

Day 080: Final grades and some good news?

The registrar is being weird and not showing me my GPA or any earned credit so I'm going to call them today to sort it all out.

I passed Chem 2 and Chem 2 lab so that's always a plus. I celebrated by shopping like crazy and I think I deserve it :)

Anyway, my professor from Chem 2 asked me to be his SIP leader in the fall. Here's the little schpiel on the school website:
The Supplemental Instruction Program (SIP) is a series of weekly discussion/ review sessions for students taking historically difficult courses. SIP is available for all students enrolled in specific course sections. SIP sessions consist of a discussion facilitated by an SIP leader who has successfully completed the course. The SIP leader knows the class content and sits through class with you every day. They hear what the class hears and read what the class reads in order to help students critically think about the class material. Statistics show that students who attend SIP attain from 1/3 to 1 whole letter grade better than those who do not. This could be you!
Firstly, let's recognize what an honor this is. I really thought he was going to ask David because he not-so-secretly loves and wants to be David but apparently I have a better personality? Whatever, yay for me and not David, haha. So the fact that he chose me is pretty cool beans.

In all seriousness though, I don't know if I should take it. The position requires about a 10 hour commitment per week, I have to change Organic Chemistry professors (to a more challenging one) and yeah. Those are the main cons I've come up with.

The pros are: I would develop a good rapport with the professor (so that he could write a kick-ass recommendation for me), it would look good on my med school application, I would be firming up my chem knowledge and, that's all I've got.


I like how he thinks...or decides rather.

So it looks like I've got three pros to two cons but those cons are a big deal. To be honest, I came to win. If my grades suffer at all, I'm out of the game. So even though I have "kick ass SIP leader" on my application, how much will that matter if I get a B in Organic? Since grades and MCAT scores are what get you remotely in the door, I need to get in the door. Seriously.

So, it is certainly good news, it's just trying to figure out what to do that's the tricky part. Any advice friends and family?

0 comments: