Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 751: Brains and shoulders and verification

I shadowed a neurosurgeon yesterday. Can I please express how crazy it is to be two feet away from a guy who is getting his head cut open? The entire procedure took about 4 1/2 hours and it was completely amazing the entire time. Cutting through the scalp, slowing peeling away tissue and muscle. It took us two hours just to get to the skull. Anyway, the whole experience was a little extremely awe-inspiring. Uhhh, I just watched brain surgery. How weird is that to hear?

I noticed something last night. My shoulder started to bleed, wonderful I know, after I removed the gauze from the wound. When I put Neosporin on it (just the bleeding portion), it stung. My arm has been stinging most nights due to the fun things I put on it (Iodine and/or Neosporin), but I didn't think it had anything specifically to do with the Neosporin. Using the knowledge I gained yesterday, I am now putting Vitamin E on it and two things. 1) It no longer sting-stings, just the good ol' skin-is-(re)forming-so-get-used-to-limited-mobility-and-constant-pain. 2)...I didn't actually have a second point. If I did, I forgot it.

Oh, my AMCAS (aka medical school application) was verified yesterday. All I have to do is wait for a letter of good standing from my undergrad (I'm crossing my fingers it won't get screwed up...but we all remember what I said about hoping and wishing and wanting. So. I'm going to stay on top of this and hopefully not get screwed beyond belief. Ha. Good luck with that.)

0 comments: