Friday, May 23, 2008

Day 002: First day of Chem lab

So the snippy lab instructor? ...she's weird. And she has the handwriting of a five-year-old. And her head bobs around a lot.

And when she looks at things on paper, she literally holds the page an inch away from her nose. ...um, yeah.

Anyway, the first day of lab was fine. Nothing to extraordinary, which is good. I found a lab partner -- another post-bacc kid from California! However, as I pointed out to him, "you're accomplished [he recently published his master's thesis and is getting a research assistant back in Cali while he studies here in North Carolina] and I'm eating an apple [which I was]."

This is good. I was worried I was going to have to make lab partners with this other kid I met who just needs to pass Chem ... not a good mix when I'm trying to get into medical school.

Most of my lecture was spent learning conversions -- grams to kilograms and back again, et cetera, et cetera. My nouveau lab partner and I couldn't believe it. It's really not that hard. Maybe the professor wanted to make it clear or ...? I'm not sure. I zoned out so he wouldn't confuse me.

My lecture professor definitely shouts all the time. I don't think he understands decibels or inside v. outside voices. Well, maybe he does. But his lecturing voice is more like a shouting voice. It gets annoying pretty fast.

0 comments: