Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Day 1218: Right and left, reversed.

It is official. Anatomy has completely screwed me over. FOR LIFE.

Courtesy of: The internet/Google search

On opening day of the 2011-2012 football season, my classmates and I were watching Sportscenter. They were talking about some player or other who had a dislocated shoulder. Well! We just so happened to be learning about the back/shoulder/arm/forearm at that point in time so the first thought that popped into my head was, "I wonder what kind of dislocation it was and which ligaments and bones were involved." The first words out of my mouth were, "I hate you anatomy." My classmates completely understood. We were all wondering the same thing. This is just the beginning.

As the body wears on (meaning, as I learn more about it), I have discovered that everything is backwards. When they refer to things on the right side of your body (such as your liver), the image they show you has it on the left side.

Courtesy of Netter Images; the liver in this case is
the big brown thing on the LEFT (with the
green thing (the gallbladder) in the middle)

And while watching my most recent anatomy lecture, my professor was talking about bile ducts and pointing at left and right branches and in my head, all of this jumbled right-left stuff is actually becoming second nature to me. It's when I actually think, "wait, is that regular-people-everyday-life-left or anatomy/doctor-left?" am I actually confused. It's official. After only five weeks of medical school, they are changing me. Help! Before I no longer think like a normal person anymore and actually start treating people! Helppppp!

0 comments: