Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 973: Why NoLa is not on my life map.

Last night, I told my friend at the New Orleans med school I got into that I would not be attending his med school. He seemed somewhat surprised, but was altogether understanding. I was surprised to learn that the issues I had with that school were issues he shared as well. The biggest issue being it's location.



Look. The best way to describe New Orleans is as a beautiful handful. The history in it's buildings and the city itself are both intriguing. However, the beauty of the place doesn't change the fact that Katrina happened and there is still a lot to be done. I have no problem being a part of the solution, I just feel like...I don't know. NoLa isn't for me and we don't mesh well. It's not big enough of a city and not small enough of a town. It's all a vibe and gut feeling and it all comes down to this: how could I live somewhere where I didn't want to be for four years?

0 comments: