Monday, November 23, 2009

Day 552: Reflections and connections

Some things don't change, like my love of rhyming. And cliches. And ridiculous analogies. And good friends who support me in my time of emotional distress. (Goodness. Could I sound any more melodramatic? It's just a rejection (or two), not the end of the world.)

Anyway, I won't lie and say I'm all better but I am trying to refocus my energy. I'm not sure what I'm refocusing it on but at this point, I have a very fatalistic and defeatist attitude towards medical school. Whatever happens happens...that may be the best way to minimize any further stinging from future rejections. I'm just completely blah about med school at this point. Whatever.

So, a family friend emailed a dean at a medical school I applied to. It was a very kind gesture but I don't know how much it will help. All he did was drop my name -- no AMCAS/identification number or anything of the sort. And of course the dean replied in the same empty manner -- "I'll be sure her application gets a good look." ...right. If you were serious, you'd ask for more information. A key identifying feature. Something.

I reiterate, I am so over this whole process. I just want to hibernate for the next five years.

1 comments:

c.bellardo said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Jessica, I know that you are going to get into Med School. Maybe you won't get into one of the top schools you wanted to, and I KNOW that's devastating (trust me, I know), but I have faith that regardless of what Med. School you go to you will be an amazing doctor. I know there's so much pressure to go to a great med school, and it's truly not fair that you're getting rejected, because you ARE so smart! You are smart, and ambitious, and have these goals so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't get down on yourself! It can be hard to realize that you're not going to be able to go to a particular school you wanted to, but don't let it discourage you. You can be an amazing doctor, and help SO many people if you go to any med school. If it's doctor's without boarders that you want to do, then think about how many more people you will help going to a not-top-tier med school versus no med school. I know it's hard, but focus on the end-game! I know you can do it!!!!!!