Friday, April 12, 2013

Day 2248: I'm not a nurse

Let me clear the air, I have zero problem with nurses. What I do have a problem with is every graying-at-the-temples-white-male (and the ever so often female) asking me if I'm in school to be a nurse. No, I'm not. Do you exist in life to be sexist and close-minded?

Yesterday, I met up with an M3 at Starbucks to discuss our patient's transition. I volunteered to be a part of the Saturday Free Clinic's Clinical Continuity Track (CCT), a program that pairs an M3/M4 with a patient with chronic health problems (diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, etc) in order to help manage that patient's care. Well, the gentleman behind us says "Whoa! Are you girls nurses?" First of all, are you eavesdropping? Second of all, no. I'm going to a doctor.

This will be the third time this has happened to me in two years. This is easily replacing how often I get asked "how old are you? You look so young!" (Which, to clarify, has never happened to me once in medical school. I carry myself way too confidently to be even considered a youngun. That don't mean I got an old face though!)

1 comments:

Jess said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sexism is fun. Not.

(At the other end of the scale, one of my male badminton teammates was in university for nursing and he ended up feeling so isolated and made fun of that he changed courses.)

All of this is stupid, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. Love!