Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 1181: White Coat Ceremony & Chicago

Well, it happened. I was inducted into the medical community. What a ridiculous concept.

I was very fortunate to have my family and my friend Bruce there to watch me go through the absurdity that is the pomp-and-circumstance of the coating ceremony. The whole thing was a bit tedious -- point in fact: I fell asleep during the main (what's that called again?) speech. It wasn't that it was boring. It was the fact that I was up early picking up my family from the airport and it was warm in the theater.

Let me tell you something about that white coat. It is warm. They don't look very cozy and heat-conducting, but boy, I was h-o-t, temperature-ly hot in that sucker.

(No, I won't be posting pictures of myself in the coat. I feel ridiculously pompous wearing it. Imagine the pompousness of posting pictures of me in it.)

Because my family is hysterical, they thought Milwaukee had little to offer so we drove two hours south to Chicago that weekend. We ate. A lot. At Hot Doug's. At Sushi Wabi. At Calumet Fisheries. At Giordano's. And we got to walk along Michigan Ave/Magnificent Mile in downtown Chicago and feel all touristy. All in all, not a bad weekend. (I had no idea Millennium was spelled with two 'n's. Thank you Firefox spellcheck.)

A pretty fountain at one of the entrances to Millennium Park.

The Bean at Millennium Park (sorry for the blurry iPhone quality)

The fun reflection possibilities of The Bean

Classical music happening when we strolled through Millennium Park

Michigan Ave.
An entryway near/in the Tribune Tower

Another view of Michigan Ave.

0 comments: